Divorce is a complex process. Due to complications resulting from factors such as children, shared assets, names changes and contact with the children after the fact, divorce processes should always include the services of a skilled and certified divorce lawyer. These legal professionals offer many services to couples willing to end their marriages. They include:
- Divorce process management – As their main area of expertise, divorce lawyers oversee the divorce process between couples who have decided to end the marriage. The divorce lawyer usually represents one of the spouses, but in some cases, especially when the marriage has ended in an amicable manner, they act in an exclusive manner concentrating on ensuring that the legal aspects of the divorce process remain intact.
- Child custody, contact and residence – Sometimes the greatest sufferers of an ending marriage are the children. As their family breaks apart, legal issues come up related to the contact and custody of children. Additionally, issues related to child residences and care also fall under the wings of the divorce and family lawyer whose mandate in this case is to represent their clients.
- Assets, name changes and ongoing processes –The end of a marriage through divorce presents challenges to certain issues related to the ending union. Some divorce processes dictate that there are changes to the names of one of the spouses or the children. Additionally, assets acquired before or after marriage sometimes need to be shared in a mutually respectful manner, as well as other processes such as medical payments and insurance premiums. These are some of the domains that divorce lawyers operate.
Based on the importance of ending marriages in a conclusive and mutually respectful manner, the choice of a divorce lawyer is crucial. Several factors determine the outcome of choosing a divorce lawyer:
- Experience –The most important factor to consider when choosing a divorce lawyer is their experience. More experience in legal matters related to divorce and dissolution of marriages raises the probability of satisfactory service and results during and after divorce.
- Reputation – The divorce lawyer's past clients and their experience also contribute a lot to the decision regarding the choice of a divorce lawyer. Lawyers with many satisfied clients raise the probability of getting the same outcome in one's divorce. Those with few satisfied former clients could disappoint and should be avoided.
- Legal fee – Legal proceedings are an expensive affair. Therefore, when choosing a divorce or family lawyer, the fee they charge should also come into consideration to avoid embarrassment or further distress emanating from high fees in the event of protracted legal proceedings.